Monday, June 29, 2009

Sports Carnival Fun

I'd forgotten how much fun it was to participate in a sports carnival, tak kira la in whatever role...

The last time I was involved in a sports carnival, it was at the 2001 Midwest Games in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Obviously, I didn't play any games (duh! tak cukup terrer aaaa... hehehe...), but I was keen to join in anyway cos it was a chance to travel and meet up with friends from around the States, and I also cheered on the reps from UW. Since I was the only senior in the group of girls on that trip, I was the designated driver, and I tell you, to drive from Madison to Kalamazoo with a compact car full of girls (none of whom had driver's licenses, so I was the ONLY driver!) in a convoy with the guys (we eventually got separated somehow halfway through Michigan and only met up later once we reached Kalamazoo in the middle of the night) was definitely a challenge!!

That was 8 years ago!!!

This past week, I was involved in the company's annual sports carnival, as a member of our contingent's secretariat.

Granted, my involvement was not purely voluntary... it came packaged with the responsibilities of my new position. After 7-plus years of working with the company, this was the first time I was ever involved in the carnival. Heck, I never even went to the family carnival that's held right after all the games have concluded!

I'm glad I was part of the show though... for one, it gave me a chance to be away from the office but still be involved in the company... two, it allowed me an opportunity to experience something that I had enjoyed in the past... I'd forgotten how much fun it was to cheer on your own team, and still enjoy yourselves even though we weren't the overall champions... three, I made new friends! A part of me felt like I was back in my uni days, and it felt good! I'm definitely gonna be a part of this again next year! Four, I experienced a different side of the company during the carnival... and that was a good thing considering I'm starting to feel that the direction that the company is going in, as well as the values that it's exhibiting now, is becoming somewhat at odds with my own values (but that's another topic altogether....)

On the not so good side... I think I've turned a few shades darker from standing in the hot sun all week!!! Huwaaaa..... kalah player macam ni...

*sigh*.... it's back to the daily grind tomorrow (it's already today!!!)... dah la kena pakai baju kerja macam biasa... I was getting used to wearing t-shirts and jeans/track bottoms all day hehehe....

No comments:

Post a Comment