Saturday, April 4, 2009

Weekend Expedition

Today my friend & I went on an expedition...

What did we do? We went for a 'tudung'-making class hehehe...

What brought around this whole interest in sewing?

My mom's always been a good dressmaker... sepanjang zaman sekolah, none of my baju kurungs were ever store-bought... all made by my mom! So siap boleh nak customize kain lipat belah mana, nak poket, poket belah mana, besar mana... hehehe... she usually works with cotton la, but I guess as a working mom, that's good enough rite?

Now that she's retired, she's been spending a lot of her time learning to sew new things... so besides all her kelas mengaji etc, she's been taking up quilt-making classes, smocking classes, and the fruits of her labor happen to benefit my little kiddies hehehe... so Amani has a lovely new smocked dress finishing soon, and she's already got a nice new flowery single-sized quilt for her bed... Adik punye the blue one katanya :p With her intensified interest in sewing, she even invested in a new portable sewing machine ok?!?! The kind that can do some simple embroidery as well, since her current machine is still in good condition...

In my case, it's not that I'm not interested in sewing, but I don't want it to be a 'hangat-hangat tahi ayam' kinda venture... I toyed with the idea of making kids' clothes, but the motivation wasn't strong enough............................................................

Until I discovered DIY tudungs, that is!

Apparently there's a whole bunch of ladies out there who do it, and their work is gorgeous! What drew me to them was the fact that they were also producing tudungs in printed fabrics, which I love! I am still loyal to Munawwarah, but the fact that they don't really produce many printed tudungs makes it difficult for me, cos I've got plenty of plain-colored clothes for work and I don't really want to wear the normal square tudungs anymore (yea, yea... Munawwarah has spoiled me in terms of tudung-wearing hehehe... give me a simple, pull-on tudung anytime bebbeh!)

So anyway, I started off by browsing some sites of other tudung makers (initial link courtesy of Mrs Noba, who had Mektwain on her blog list), and saw the gorgeous fabrics for sale... that led me to some other sites with info on those offering classes for newbies, and I immediately wanted in! I mentioned it to Kak R, who was interested and decided to join me for the class. So, after emailing back & forth with Yela (who has lovely fabrics for sale too), our date was confirmed. All this, within the past 1 week tau!

This morning, our darling hubbies dropped us of at Yela's house, and we began our crash course in tudung-making. Now I understand better why the good-quality ones are so expensive! Torture ok nak buat! Yela siap tanya lagi, lepas ni nak buat lagi ke, nak beli aje? Heheheh... well, that depends la kan? The more I practice, the better I get at it, hopefully the more motivated I am to continue, betul tak? ;)

By the time we left, mine was almost done, Kak R's pun lebih kurang, so we just have to do the finishing touches at home. Since we shared fabrics, we got material for 2 tudungs each, plus bought a few other pieces to try lagi at home...

Kalau bersemangat, I'll put the results up here hehehe... if I tak pakai dulu la...








What's next? Dah bersemangat dah ni... try buat another tudung with Kak R's fabric, continue with the other fabrics... Dressmaking la pulak! At least buat baju kurung sendiri, kan? Mula la gatal nak beli mesin sendiri (even though it'll probably be severely underutilized for some time first hehehe....) Mama, nak pinjam mesin jahit........:p

Wowweee... a new experiment!! :)

2 comments:

  1. wah..you dah ber tudung DIY jugak?
    i ni kan memang la..P E M A L A S.
    hiks hiks! so takleh nak buat apa laaa :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. kehkehkeh...

    first timer kan... tgn tu gatal nak buat. once i got started, mmg terasa jugak la the rush of adrenalin & kepuasan ati sebab ada hasil :) i ni pun malas ok... tapi bile tgk my mom menjahit, teringin jugak nak ikut her footsteps... dia dah siap penah buat remark lagi 'awak ni tak interested ke nak blajar? at least ada jugak org leh wariskan mesin mama ni...'

    ReplyDelete