Sunday, May 31, 2009

Wedding Dresscodes

I was at a wedding this afternoon, and as usual I saw various styles of dressing (and lovely handbags hehehe)...

One person caught my eye... but all for the wrong reasons...

I think she was most likely a friend of the newly-weds... came with a bunch of old friends of the happy couple that I recognized, and is obviously a Malaysian (rasanya she's from our old school too, but I can't confirm... Fairy GM, our senior jugak ke?)

The reason she caught my eye, the thing that I found to be soooo inappropriate is... she was wearing a bright red SLEEVELESS TANKTOP, to a Malay wedding. Heck, I know it's sweltering hot nowadays, but most people have a sense of decorum that tells them what's suitable and what's not for certain events... even if you don't know, even weddings at home have dresscodes OK, albeit not formally written down in the wedding invitation...

The fact that she was non-Malay is not an issue. I've got many non-Malay friends who dress appropriately for a kenduri at home (and when I say appropriate, it doesn't necessarily mean a baju kurung or kebaya ye...) and I've seen many Malays who dress in shoulder-baring, cleavage-showing dresses for Malay and non-Malay weddings at posh hotels. It all comes down to knowing how to dress according to the situation... and being a Malaysian who's most likely lived here all her life, the social norms should have been obvious to her, no?

Is it that difficult to decide what to wear to a fairly common event in Malaysia? I've also seen some people in shorts and t-shirts to such a celebration, which to me totally disrespects the hosts. No one's expecting you to come wrapped in silk and adorned with sequins and glitter, but you should at least look like you're going to a function, not to the pasar malam!

Too bad about the outfit, cos I thought she was pretty... the wrong outfit totally spoilt the look...

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking of blogging on the same topic as well :-) you beat me to it... will blog about it later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...yeah, itu lah namanya 'lupa daratan'!

    ReplyDelete